Monday, June 23, 2008

Demographer v. Demolitionist

While Pepple studies several open books laid about him in the shade of his cabin, the Demographer and the Demolitionist agree on the importance of keeping the correct person-to-building ratio.

Business is really booming, says the Demolitionist. That's an old Demolitionist joke - but it's true, especially given today's circumstances. Hell if I didn't demolish six destitute tenements earlier this week, and twice that many single-family homes. All on the fringes of the city. Sure I feel bad for the squatters --

But they're the responsibility of the Civil Servant, finishes the Demographer.

Exactly.

The Demographer asks the biggest thing the Demolitionist destroyed. Answer: a dam.

They're spotted all over this area on maps. Small private dams, beaver dams, larger public dams. I read an old map that indicated the presence of one near here. Very small, built ages ago. But you know they built those early dynamos to last. Could still be pumping power... to God knows what, but power nevertheless.

They raise their guns, their guns go off.